has worked on the development of marine renewable energy technologies
for over 15 years. He has extensive experience of all aspects
of marine energy device development ranging from small-scale
testing through to full-scale prototype testing. He has developed
a specific expertise in implementing state-of-the-art instrumentation,
data acquisition and real-time data management systems tailored
for the marine energy industry.
In recent years,
Cuan has been the lead scientist instrumental in developing
novel techniques for the environmental and performance monitoring
of Tidal Energy devices using Accoustic Doppler Current Profilers,
centred around his involvement with the Seagen Tidal Turbine
currently operated in Strangford Lough, Northern Ireland by
UK company Marine Current Turbines.
Cuan has published
in the research and development of marine renewable energy,
some of which are listed below. Cuan represents Ireland as
principal expert on the IEC committee for the Resource Assessment
of Tidal Energy Converters.
- Heath, T.V., Whittaker, T.J.T. &
Boake, C.B. (2000) Design, Construction and Operation of
the LIMPET Wave Energy Converter (Islay, Scotland), 4th
European Wavepower Conference, Denmark
- Boake, C.B., Thompson, A., Whittaker,
T.J.T. and Folley, M.  Integrated System Design for
Remote Communication, Data Acquisition and Control of the
LIMPET Wave Energy Device, REMIC, Belfast, UK
- Folley, M.*, Curran, R., Boake, C.B.
and Whittaker, T.J.T.  Performance investigations
of the LIMPET counter-rotating Wells turbine, Marine Renewable
Energy Conference, Newcastle, UK
- Whittaker, T.J.T.*, Beattie, W., Folley,
M., Boake, C.B., Wright, A., Osterried, M. and Heath, T.
 Performance of the LIMPET wave power station - Prediction,
Measurement and Potential, 5th European Wave Energy Conference,
- Boake, C.B.*, Folley, M., Whittaker,
T.J.T. and Ellen, H.  Instrumentation and Data Management
of the LIMPET OWC Wave Power Plant, 5th European Wave Energy
Conference, Cork, Ireland
- C.B. Boake, M. Atcheson, I.G. Bryden,
T.J.T Whittaker (2009): Selection of a large model scale
field wave and tidal test site in Strangford Lough, UK.
Proceedings from 1st International Conference on Sustainable
Power Generation and Supply, Nanjing, China.
- F. Thiebaut, D.O'Sullivan, P. Kracht,
S. Ceballos, J. López, C. Boake, J. Bard, N. Brinquete,
J. Varandas, L.M.C. Gato, R. Alcorn, A.W. Lewis: Testing
of a floating OWC device with movable guide vane impulse
turbine power take-off, 9th European Wave and Tidal Energy
Conference, Southampton, UK, 2011.
Cuan has been involved in numerous renewable
energy projects, some of which are listed here:
- CORES European Project (Jan 2008 - March
2011), Wave Energy Project.
- SUPERGEN Marine Energy Research Consortium.
- Wavetrain II, EEC Marie Curie Training
Network, Scientist in Charge.
- Oyster Wave Energy Plant (Aquamarine).
- SEAGEN, Marine Current Turbines, Strangford
Lough Tidal Turbine Project, Northern Ireland
- Horizon Renewables Ltd
- Development of Intelligent Real-time Energy Management
System for Small-scale Renewable Energy Installations.
- Software development - economic feasibility assessment
for small-medium scale wind turbines
- Castlecool Ltd.
- Development of an Integrated Energy Management System
using refrigerated energy storage
- LIMPET Wave Energy Project (EEC Contract
- Energetech Australia, Port Kembla Wave
- CA-OE, Co-ordinated Action for Ocean
Energy Partner, EEC Project.
- Wavetrain Project, EEC Marie Curie Training
Network, Scientist in Charge.